Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Problem Child ;)

On Monday morning, Samantha woke up with a little froggy in her throat and just a teeny tiny bit of wheezing. I just thought that she had that gunk in her throat from just waking up. i took her to childcare while I went to work. When I picked her up at 12:00, she still had the wheeziness. I called the doctor and the earliest thing they had available was 8:30 on Tuesday morning. I took it. We came home had lunch and I put her down for nap. When she woke up she sounded horrible! Her breathing sounded like she was snoring, a temp of about 100, and she had a real "barky" cough. :( We got through the night and I took her to the doctor on Tuesday.
The doctor reminded me that I had Samantha in there in January for some wheeziness. the doctor asked if we had ever had any asthma issues with her. I said no. She told me that she was leaning toward Samantha having a very mild case of asthma. She thinks the only time she is going to have an issue is when she has a "little bug" in the cold weather. The combination of the 2 cause asthma to flare up. The doctor listened to her lungs and her heart rate. Then the doctor had me do a nebulizer treatment on Samantha. After the treatment the doc listened to her lungs and heart again and could hear a big difference. So, we now have a nebulizer machine and a prescription. For those of you that don't know what a nebulizer is, it is a machine that does the same thing as an inhaler does. I pour liquid meds into a machine. It has a motor that turns the liquid into a gas/vapor for Samantha to breath in while wearing a mask.We did her first treatment at home Tuesday afternoon. Usually when we d her treatment I put on Sesame Street for her to watch to distract her. Ah, the power of Elmo! We did the treatment 3 times on Wednesday, and just 2 times yesterday. We are already seeing her cold get better, so her asthma symptoms are decreasing. I am just glad that it is a very mild case and will not hinder her in any way.

No comments: