Friday, March 12, 2010

New Glasses 8-)

Marc went to his yearly eye exam in the middle of February. We were wondering if this was going to be the appointment when we were told that it was time to get his first pair of glasses. The last few years, he has had his eyes checked at the preschool by the county. Each of the last 2 years of preschool he "failed" the vision test. Our normal eye doctor told us that he was going to hold off until he was doing more "board work" at school.
As I sat there during the exam, I saw how many letters on the eye chart he got wrong. Even though I have taken him for yearly screenings, I found myself having some Mommy guilt. It was fun seeing the look on his face when Dr. Crank put the new lenses in front of his eyes and he could see the eye chart!! 8-) Dr. Crank confirmed that this was the appointment that he was getting his first pair of glasses.
I told Marc that we would not be picking them out that day since Daddy would want to be there too. He said to me, "Mommy, can we at least try on a couple of pairs????" We was SUPER excited to get glasses. He thought it was cool that he was going to be the only kid in his class that has glasses. :)
So, the next weekend, we went out and looked at like 5 stores looking for a pair of glasses we liked that also had a price tag we liked. ;) We seemed to pick out the same type of frames from each store and all the prices were pretty close, so we chose the get them from the store that gave us the best service! The sales clerk was super nice, helpful, and friendly. She didn't like the fact that I kept taking pictures. ;) She called what she was using a "pupil-ometer". I don't know if that is really what it is called or not, but it is a machine that measures how far apart his eyes are to make sure they made the frames to fit him.A week and a half later we got the call that his glasses were in, so we trekked down there to pick them up. he was excited when he was putting them on for the first time.
I was trying to get a good posed picture of him in his new glasses.....but this was the best I could get.
Daddy snapped a picture of me giving Marc a lesson about how and where to hold his glasses.
The super helpful and nice sales person making sure the glasses fit well and properly.
I asked him what he thought of them. He studied himself in the mirror for a few minutes and then said.......
THEY LOOK GOOD!!
We had to start him wearing them little by little. We started with 15 minute increments and slowly increased it until he was able to wear them for most of the day. He has done great with them!! I am so proud of my handsome little man!! :) :)

No comments: