Monday, July 27, 2009

Tonsils :(

When we went to Marc's 5-year well child appointment in November, our doctor told us that his tonsils were huge. She referred us to an ENT. Her name was Dr Eyed. I will NEVER refer anyone I know to her. She was rude, cold, and was not very child-friendly. She asked me some questions about Marc, like if he snored, if he has trouble swallowing. She asked m if he had any speech problems. I told her he was in speech class. She asked me what sounds he was working on, so I told her. She very rudely told me that those sounds had nothing to do with his tonsils. She said that she couldn't just take them out for no reason, there had to be be reason behind having them removed. She said the only option was to do a sleep study at the hospital and that we would not be allowed to stay with him. I cried, then called my primary doctor. We decided that that was going a little to the extreme, so we decided not to do the sleep study. My doctor told us to keep an eye on Marc and to watch for a few signs that might lead us to having him looked at again. She had us look out for recurring sickness, snoring, or signs of sleep apnea. After going on vacation with him in May/June, we discovered that he snores, ALOT! In June he kept clearing his throat all the time. When we asked him why he was doing that he said it felt like there was always something stuck in his throat. So, I made an appointment with our regular doctor to take a look at him again. We decided to have him see a ENT again. i told her that I would NOT go back to the same doctor again. She asked me if I knew of a ENT that we wanted to go to. We went to see Dr. Winkle (thanks for the referral Tracey!) on Friday. The whole office was great. All of the personnel were friendly to us all. Dr Winkle was nice. He was shocked at how big Marc's tonsils are! He asked if we had ever seen any signs of sleep apnea. We said no, but we aren't usually in the same room with him when he sleeps. He said that with tonsils that big, that he would be shocked if he was not having any apnea while he slept. So we decided to have his tonsils taken out. We are a little worried about having it done, but know that it is the best thing to be done.
He will be having them out on Monday, August 17th. Marc is looking forward to being able to eat a lot of ice cream, pudding, jello, and popsicles. We would appreciate any and all prayers that can be said! Thanks!

No comments: